February 17, 2005

Dog bite update

S is doing well. There's still a lot of brusing but she hasn't complained of pain and it looks like it's healing nicely. I have to take a picture today. On Friday night, the emergency room doctor decided not to give her the rabies shots or any antibiotics. He didn't want her to go through the painful shots if it wasn't absolutely needed. I'm not sure how I feel about not having antibiotics, but I'm just trusting his judgement here. He felt the dog should have been removed from the house (it wasn't) and quarantined for at least 10 days. He told us what to look for and said he needed to see a record of the dogs immunizations. The police aide didn't give us the proper form for medical restitution, dog bite papers, complaint number, or any information about facts they were gathering about the dog. It has been a hassle trying to get the information I need.

The police aide never called me back, I had to keep calling everyday until he took my call yesterday. He says the owners couldn't produce papers but that the dog had tags on, and the clinic verified it was up to date on the rabies vaccine. He also told me, it's up to the county to decide what to do with the dog, and that it's being 'quarantined' at its home. I don't see how that is proper, as it's still in the house, with two other kids. He also said, that it's very possible the dog will be allowed to remain there. The owners will be given a fine, and have to pay restitution for our medical bills however. I am not thrilled at the idea of the dog being allowed to stay in a home that is right next to a park!

So far, she hasn't had any nightmares or problems walking by the park. God is good. She still has fear, and a lot of issues with how the kids treated her, but again God is good. I am still going to push for the dog to be removed though, I'm not going be happy with them just paying a fine for 'bad dog' behavior! That's not enough, in my opinion, this dog is known to be mean, lives near a park, and a school where kids walk home. Obviously, they are not responsible dog owners.

I'm so thankful though, that she's ok, and it was so minor, I know how blessed we are. Thanks for your kind words and prayers.