August 03, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things about Melissa
1. This week, God used a terrible accident that happened to our 3 month old puppy to teach me some spiritual lessons. One of them is that, if I'd be so devasated at the idea of losing this little furry gift, and be willing to do anything I could to keep him and help him, how much more does God love me by sending his Son while I was helpless in sin? How much more should I be daily reaching out to others in compassion and love? Taking nothing for granted. Loving my neighbor and helping anyone I can, in whatever way I can, brings me one step closer to being more like Christ.

2. I have realized also this week that no matter how much I want to beat myself up for "what ifs", "I should have knowns" or "If had just.." it doesn't change a thing. Sometimes, stuff happens. It's just that way. I am too hard on myself, even when I don't expect the same of others. I have to give myself a break and stop being such a perfectionist.

3. I have almost more online friends now in my life then "irl" friends. I care just as much about them as I do the ones I see. Some of these online friends have been a part of my life for over 6 years now and they mean the world to me. This week I feel I've made a few more and I don't care how weird people might that is.

4. I've learned today that a community of strangers online can do more to uplift and encourage someone then you'd ever know. It's a funny thing, this internet realm. There's the good, the bady, and the ugly. But when it's good, it's very good. I've seen clear examples of more loving and truly caring people then in some of my "Christian" circles. What does that say about the church?

5. I tend to avoid getting into group memes and other blog groups because I often get behind or procrastinate. I used to be the one too that would organize these kinds of things and I'd get burnt out. I'm stepping out of my social cacoon and letting you all get to know me better. If I slack, you can kick my ass.

6. I don't usually swear. Is ass a swear word? I don't want my kid saying it, but sometimes ass just works better then booty or bum. I mean, come on. Cut me some slack, all ye those who like to judge.

7. My knee is really hurting me. I've spend more time online this last few days answering emails, doing research on vet care, grants available for us, updating Vinny's site etc., then I have in the last few months. Which is probably why so many of you were emailing me to ask if I had died and what happened to my great snarky, sarcastic sense of humor. The "I don't know" troll living in my house ate it. I think I will need to go on glucosamine tablets like my dog or stop sitting with my knees folded. Either that or I' m just getting old.

8. I have to lose 30lbs or so. To some, they say phish, 30lbs, what's she bawking about? Well, dears, my butthighs now have their own apendages and my rolls have rolls. Stop rolling your eyes. It's true. When you're almost 5'5, smalled boned and 155lbs like me, you'd know what I mean. For once in my life, my arms are even looking chunky. I blame the husband. It's the damn midnight runs for chocolate, custard, shakes, fries, and other junk food. I was a vegetarian for 8 years and started graving junk. He must like me big or he can't say no. He gives in to easy. What a sucker. Now look at me honey. Even when I was 120lbs a year and a half ago my ass had it's own zip code. Anyone want to be my weight loss buddy?

9. I haven't been to the farmer's market ONE time all this summer. I'm disgusted with myelf. And my lame excuses.

*It's too hot to go.-True, with the heat index it has been record breaking around here like most of the U.S. I mean, I thought I moved AWAY from California heat?

*I just spent most of our grocery money at the store. -Well, dumbass, you know the market's on Wednesday, stop doing that!

10. I'm talking to myself on my own blog. Sometimes I do that. I do it in real life too. I don't answer back that much though.

11. I've taken more pictures of my puppy lately then my kids. I've been assured that's probably not that abnormal. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

12. I have to go back to work. Not only do I have tons of vet bills to pay for this next year as Vinny heals, we're buying a house soon. I'm going to be a homeowner! I will even blog the process and let you all vote on decor. Well, some of you can vote.

13. This was my first Thursday Thirteen and I made it through. Yay, now I'm going to go nap before the pup needs me again.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!