September 10, 2005

Cute as a Button..

and other stupid sayings...

So I've been thinking about all the phrases we use. Like the one, Cute as a Button. How exactly is a button cute? I blogged about this in my old journal but I still haven't found the answer. I hear that stupid phrase all the time, especially when referring to babies. How you can compare a babies cuteness to a button I just can't understand. Let me see here.

Baby. Button.


Puppy. Button.

A button is a button.

When I was a pre-teen, my grandma gave me a huge box of buttons. Old ones and new ones. Unique ones and plain ones. Vintage and antique. I had every color, shape, and size button.
I think it was a hint that I needed to learn to sew. Which has never happened. But I do remember looking into the box and wondering how that phrase got started. It didn't help that I developed a complex about the word cute when
my 6th grade teacher made me bury a piece of paper with the word 'cute' inscribed on it. She told me it was my "dead" word and I had to bury it until they opened the time capsule in year 2005.

Yeah, right. Like I'm going to travel all the way to Falsvale Elementary School in Forest Falls to unearth a box of 'dead' words. I digress.

Where do we get some of these stupids sayings?

Knock on wood
Who's there?

Break a leg
In which sadistic culture was breaking bones considered lucky?

I'm so tired it's not even funny
And why would it be?

I'm so hungry I could eat a horse
What about a donkey? An Elephant?

I quit cold turkey
As opposed to warm chicken?

There's no such thing as a free lunch.
So, what about a free breakfast?

Don't put all your eggs in one basket
And why not?

Happy as a Lark

Why exactly are Larks so happy?

Inquiring minds want to know.


Surely you can share your own list of stupid and puzzling sayings? Come on. Let's see what drives you nuts.

Oh, and what kind of person would I be if I didn't show you something as cute as a button after reading all that ranting? Here's Puck. Isn't he buttonlicious?