September 12, 2005

I Can't Watch News

My family and friends know that I almost never ever watch news. It's usually just disturbing, depressing and full of terrible things that I have absolutely no control over and can't do anything about.

I'm the type of person that wants to mobilize and do something and I can't. I take everything to the very core of my being. I can feel deeply for others to the point where it's hard to walk away.

I finally watched the first of two Oprah shows on the Katrina devastation.

Big mistake. I was in tears. Shock. Heart wrenching. I can't even get my mind wrapped around it all nor will I ever be able to erase the images burned into my mind.

So sad. Sick. Scary.

I feel anger. Hurt. I'm immobilized. That feeling I hate having which is the very reason I've avoided the news accounts up until now.

Giving money will never be enough. My prayers will never be enough.

I have no right to ever complain again. I will take nothing for granted. Nothing.