May 24, 2005

Fighting over diapers?

Recently I was reading this blog when I noticed her post about 'poop bags'.

Do you cloth diaper? If so, why? Why do you choose not to cloth diaper?

Does it really matter? In general, is one really better over the other?

If you AP, does that mean you're more likely to cloth diaper?

I have to say, I never felt looked down upon for using disposables, nor would I have thought that about a mom using cloth diapers.

I'm really curious about this, as I have noticed lately on the parenting boards that it has gotten very militant like. It used to be we had debates about who was the 'better' mom because they stayed at home vs who 'worked' outside the home. (As if parenting isn't a full time job in itself. Parenting is work? What a silly thought)

Now we are arguing over diapers?? Am I missing something? I'm not sure what I think about clother diapers vs disposables. Actually I have never even really given it much thought. It's a dirty job, but somebodies got to do it. So after your spouse runs & hides, your neighbors tell you no & your other kids deny payment, you suck it up, smile & hold your breath. Then you sigh in relief...yay I didn't get it all over their clothes as they tried to wiggle away. (which seems to be the only time they want to roll over, other then when you're not looking of course)

But I do think it's a bit sad that mothers try to make other mothers feel like crap about it. No pun intended. It's just 'poopy-pee-pee' as my 5 y.o would say.

***Update

Part of this comment was pointed out-I just had to post the reply, it's almost too unbelievable to believe.

Here's a quote from a poster named Stacy, "Just TRY to wrap your mind around the idea that *maybe* when somebody who cloth diapers tries to "convert" you they just want you to enjoy diapering the way we do. Perhaps we just want to share something that has brought us so much joy. Believe me when I say, you will never understand until you try it. "

I believe her that I'll never understand. I just don't see how I'll ever find joy in changing a dirty diaper at all, whether cloth or disposables. And I think I'm a very in tune, loving, caring & attached mom.

Either does my friend
Kathy: I spewed my soda over this statement

"DAMN. I had NO idea their was JOY to be had with diapering. What a sad sad life I have led. I"m just going to have another baby so I don't miss out on the joy of diapering. Many things give me joy. That ain't on my list. Guess I'm doing something wrong."

{Course you aren't doing something wrong. What with a job, two girls, a husband who travels nonstop & a dog that likes to eat bandaids & barf them back up....I think you're doing a fan-tab-u-lous job.}

I do have to say though, I like the idea of cloth diapering. I just don't want to be the one to clean it up. ;-)

Here's another section of the reply:

"I hate mothers that claim to love mothering, but hate actual mothers. I like women, but I am sick and tired of people looking down their noses at me and the choices I make for myself because my choices make YOU uncomfortable with yours."

I couldn't agree more here. Really, and truly. I think we're all getting our diapes in a bunch. I still though can't help but wonder about the sense of 'sides' that I keep seeing. Just reading this section reiterated my feeling about it.

"You will never understand the
auctions that go for big bucks because what you don't see is the huge sense of community we CD'ers share. We support each other in ways I simply don't see in any other circles." (bold & italics mine)

Now it's 'WE'? In fairness though, I think I've felt the same way about breastfeeding when I've had to reply to moms who say that can't ever understand how they'd find joy in letting their baby nurse. We. Yeah, I've felt that.

So there it goes folks, women are fighting over poopy diapers. Here I thought it was time to rejoice that I rarely ever have to clean up after S*** at all anymore. Rarely.